Yes you read that right. About 16% of homes listed for sale this year have actually SOLD. That is a daunting statistic for potential sellers. Being a self professed marketing geek, I have uncovered the biggest factors the 16% had in common, who were the buyers, and how did they find the home they ultimately purchased. Basically – What Marketing Works to Get a Home Sold in the Denver/Boulder Real Estate Market?
So, how did buyers find the home that they purchased:
From looking at these numbers, here’s what DOESN’T WORK as well:
- Print Advertising
- Open Houses
- For Sale By Owner
Here’s What DOES WORK:
- Targeted Internet Marketing
- Attracting real estate brokers who have buyers looking in the area. Most buyers have an agent and they agent uses the web to search for their clients
Your home MUST:
- Have maximum internet exposure and syndication so buyers and their realtors can find your home. There are a ton of third party services for this and you better have one!
- Professional/Crisp/Bright Photos! Buyers quickly look at photos and if they are blurry, dark, or otherwise unflattering they skip on to the next one. Many agents skimp on photos…don’t do it!
- Maximum # of photos (25 here in Denver/Boulder MLS’s). Buyers often sort by # of photos. If you only have a few you are at the bottom!
- Virtual Tour to maximize click throughs on your listing.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) adding key words for the searches buyers will use for your specific house. Your agent has to have intimate knowledge of the area to know what buyers use to search.
- Immaculate Showing Condition – once your agent get’s the buyers inside the home it’s your time to shine! Your agent should have a staging consultant get it in tip top shape to make buyers fall in love with your home
- Priced to Sell – Don’t “Try” a price if you are willing to take less. Price it lower right out of the gate and it will result in a higher sale price and faster sale. There are stats til we are blue in the face that show how homes that are on the market longer sell for much less.
Good luck! If you have questions or want to see my listing marketing plan in detail give me a shout at 303-669-2744 x 5 or email email@example.com. I do all the above and more, and thankfully have seen most of my listings sell in 30 days or less this year!